Custodian Job Description
Reports To: Senior Minister
Position Status: Part-Time Regular—Exempt, Salaried employee
Position Summary: The purpose of this position primarily consists of general housekeeping duties: sweeping, mopping and vacuuming floors, taking out trash, dusting and cleaning restrooms. The Custodian sweeps and mops floors, vacuums carpets, clean rugs and dust furniture. Additional jobs include collecting and removing garbage. Cleaning and restocking, bathrooms and cleaning windows to support South Elkhorn Christian Church (SECC) (Disciples of Christ).
General Job Responsibilities and Duties:
- Be considered a staff member and attend staff meetings when requested by the Senior Pastor
- Be responsible to the congregation through the Senior Minister and the Ministry Support Team
- Conduct and present themselves in a manner fitting a church staff member
- Be responsible for the cleanliness of the complete Church facility ensuring that it is presentable at time of use.
- Possess a high school diploma or hold a general education degree (GED) certificate, is desired.
- At least one year of prior experience in custodial duties, preferably in a church or similar setting.
- The successful applicant must submit to a criminal history background check
- Have the ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions given in English; written, oral, or diagram form.
- Be conscientious and able to work independently (unsupervised).
- Be familiar with custodial equipment (e.g. hand and small power tools, ladders, floor buffers, vacuums, carpet cleaners, etc.).
- Have strong customer service skills and the ability to get along with others.
- Be in good physical health (ability to transfer weight up to fifty (50) pounds; ability to climb and work from ladders; ability to stand, walk, sit, stoop, kneel; possess hand-eye coordination and arm/hand/finger dexterity).
- Be cooperative and show respect and courtesy to all church staff, church members, and church visitors.
- Be punctual, trustworthy, and willing to work.
- Be flexible in availability to accommodate the schedule of church activities.
- Must maintain confidentiality with sensitive information.
- Be flexible as this role will have other small cleaning services on a non recurring basis. They shall meet with Senior Minister once a week for any other cleaning jobs that may need to be done. Minor Repairs may be asked if the person feels comfortable performing the task (changing light bulbs or other general facility tasks)
Evaluation and Compensation
- The custodian works directly for and is accountable to the Senior Minister and receives work direction from the Senior Minister or Ministry Support team or the Little Elks Director. The custodian receives an annual performance evaluation. Compensation is reviewed annually.
Detail Job Responsibilities and Duties:
Scope: Entire Church Facility
Reporting: Report any issues or supply needs to the Senior Minister or to the Ministry support team
- Empty all trash containers and replace liners
- Dust all surfaces including furniture, cabinets, blinds, and window ledges
- Clean and sanitize drinking fountains
- Vacuum all mats and rugs
- Sweep corners and Dust Mop rugs
- Dust mop hard surfaces
- Clean kitchen and sanitize counters
- Replace tissue, soap, and towels.
- Empty all trash.
- Clean and disinfect all toilets
- Clean walls and partitions
- Disinfect all sinks
- Clean mirrors
- Sweep and mop all floors
Weekly or after each event
- Damp wipe all tables
- Clean Entrance Glass
- Dust communion table, Podiums, Piano
- Damp mop all surfaces
- Arrange sanctuaries, worship spaces, and classrooms
- Dust coat racks, shelves, and benches
- Dust surfaces over 5 feet
- Dust blinds and doors
- Clean Lights switches, doors, and door jams
- Clean picture frames and glass
Annually or as required
- Replace accessible Light Bulbs
- Dust Baseboards
- Remove Cobwebs
- Clean Windows
- Dust fire extinguisher areas
- Keep custodial room clean and organized
- Clean before and after weddings (additional compensation)
- Clean before and after funerals/visitations
Out of great love for one another, there is no indoor worship at this time. Learn more about outdoor worship here.